History

Calendar of Events

Check the Calendar of Events for all your child’s upcoming class events and activities.
Read More

HNS Programs

Our daily program is a balanced combination of free play and guided activities.
Learn More

In October of 1955, the Women’s Fellowship of First Church began operating Hopmeadow Nursery School from their rooms at the rear of the church building with Ardella Pease serving as the first director for 20 years. The church hired architect Richard Shope to design a space for the school in the historic Ensign carriage house in 1961. Known as the Little People’s House, HNS held classes here until the church sold the building in 1976, precipitating a move to the basement rooms of the Ensign House. In the 1970s, Hopmeadow Nursery School ended its affiliation with the church and became a cooperative school run by parents. In 1984, the school came full circle and settled into its current home in the Sunday school wing at First Church. The school is now run as a non-profit corporation with director Lisa MacNeil at the helm of an advisory Board of Directors, several parent-chaired committees, and a staff of 9 teachers.